When your garden gives you lemons and you don't want to waste all the blissful abundance and i have decided to use all those lemon peels to make Limoncello.
Limoncello is a lemon infused Italian liqueur usually served in chilled shot glass after a good meal.
- 10 lemons, Meyer lemons (home grown)
- 750 ml vodka, 100 proof
- 1.5 cup water
- 1.5 cup sugar
How to prepare
- Carefully remove the zest from the lemons using a vegetable peeler being careful not to remove any of the white pith.
- Put the lemon peels into a glass container that is at least 2-quarts in size. Pour the vodka over the zest, cover, and let sit in a cool dark place for 7 days..
- After 7 days, prepare the sugar syrup: pour the water and the sugar in a pan, slowly warm and stir constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- When the syrup is cold filter the alcohol by removing the skins, put it in a large bowl and add the sugar syrup.
- Transfer the limoncello in to well cleaned bottles ,seal and keep it refrigerated.
- Limoncello must be served very cold.