Elderberry contains high levels of flavonoids means it might have anti - inflammatory and antioxidant properties and many believe it boost your immune system. most notably to fight cold and flu ,and many many more health benefits...
- 4 cups dried organic elderberries
- 8 cups cold water ( purified )
- 1 tbsp organic freshly grated ginger
- 1 sweet cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cloves
- 16 to 24 ounces raw, local honey (or organic maple syrup for a vegan/baby friendly recipe)
- 1/2 cup vodka or brandy (optional to increase shelf life)or (equal amounts of honey)
- Combine berries with the cold water in a large stainless steel pot and bring to a boil. Once simmering, add cinnamon, cloves, and grated ginger and continue to simmer,by stirring occasionally .
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it steep for 1 hour.
- Using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth strain the mixture, using a spoon to press the berries to extract as much juice as possible.
- Pour strained liquid into a measuring cup and measure it’s volume.
- Once the liquid is cool to lukewarm add honey which is 3/4 volume of the syrup and stir to incorporate.(to increase shelf life ensure volume of syrup and honey are equal)
- If using alcohol add now and stir until well combined.
- Pour the elderberry syrup into clean glass jars or bottles, and refrigerate.it should stay good about 8 weeks with out alcohol.